Tuesday 21 April 2009

Pizza, Reminiscences and Cakes

The lack of posts over the last few days is due to my having had a guest staying with me over the weekend - an old university friend who I lived with in Halls. We hadn't seen each other for a couple of years, so it was a good catch-up and reminiscence time. Pizza was enjoyed on Friday night (extra pepperoni and mushroom, with garlic pizza bread) :-) - just to whet your appetites... A good time was had by us both.

One thing I did notice this weekend though, was the difference between walking with a non-birder and a birder. I've got so used to stopping and searching the hedgerows and trees for sign of a singing bird, it was a bit unsatisfactory when my companion this weekend continued walking and acted slightly impatient at my stopping and starting... I think this proves I've got the bug!

Saw many examples of my favourites over the weekend though, Blackbirds, Robins and Sparrows, along with a beautiful Song Thrush who ran into the hedge as soon as she saw me (I've always thought of Thrushes as female somehow...). On Sunday morning I heard a very distinctive bird singing, couldn't see it as the trees were too thick, and I was unable to stop and look properly (due to my company), however the song was made up of trills, warbling and running of scales, really impressive, and definitely not a Robin or Blackbird. Wish I could've identified it. I'll keep my ears open from now on in case I hear/see it again...

Today has been a 'domestic' day - doing the laundry and baking cakes! :-) Chocolates cakes to be precise, and very good they are too... :-) - jealous yet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment