Thursday 21 May 2009

My local patch and other things...

This, courtesy of O.S., is the area around where I live... I've marked on there in red all the public footpaths and rights of way which I frequent. The one which starts off by the station and runs almost parallel with the railway is the Liss Railway Riverside Walk, maintained by a local charity, and following the route of the old military railway between Liss and Longmoor Camp. The yellow cross in the pink circle shows, near enough, where I live - one of the paths runs alongside the side of my flat... Oh and the big pink road is the A3.


And below are my two locals, the Blue Bell and the Spread Eagle - the Eagle is within view of my front door :-)





I met a representative from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust yesterday, outside Tesco in Petersfield, of all places! They've had a stand up in the entrance for a couple of days to try and encourage people to join, and to raise awareness of their work. I had a lovely long chat with him and got some good advice and recommendations of reserves within easy reach of me (one only 5 miles away, if that!) and he gave me one of their members magazines for free :-) - got a great article in it on Peregrines. When I have money I will definitely be joining. They've got far more reserves than I ever realised, and many are SSSI's. - Lots of locations to visit when the man brings the car down methinks! :-)

Talking of the man, I'm off up to his tomorrow :-). We're having a meal tomorrow evening with an old housemate of mine and her fiance - haven't seen either of them for ages, so it should be a fun evening. Got many other things planned for the weekend, including, as previously mentioned, the Sealife Centre! *grins* Will be seeing these people whilst I'm there too :-)

Oh, I need to get a rain cover and new strap for my binoculars... Must remember!

Got my choir rehearsal tonight, so it'll be more Benjamin Britten, Vaughan Williams and Elgar... Also some Percy Grainger folk songs which we have to sing in a Lincolnshire accent...! - you can imagine. There's all the old boys in the tenor and bass sections singing lustily about overtaking a fair young maid in the woods; most of them are well past their prime, and would probably have great difficulty in overtaking anyone! - it causes amusement...

No comments:

Post a Comment