Thursday 25 June 2009

Several 'Beautiful Demoiselle' Damselflies seen on my river!

Yes, that's right folks, there is something exciting on my local river, the Rother. A couple of days this week I've had cause to walk into the cetnre of the village, which involves crossing the small road bridge over the river. I've paused for a few minutes to look at the river to see if there were any exciting flighted things down there and saw several of these: (not my photo!)

I described them in great detail last night to the man, who now owns a field guide on these interesting insects... Everything fitted, the flapping of the wings like a butterfly, the habitat, the appearance and the distribution... :-) Certain people should be able to see them for themselves next week!

Also of note were a pair of Grey Wagtails on the same stretch of river, I'm getting to be more and more of a fan of this bird... Apparently they have the longest tail of all the Wagtails!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think there was ever any danger of any of us mistaking this for one of your photos :-P

    My shiny new DSLR wouldn't even come close to it. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete